Sunday 30 May 2010

A postsecret

I only recently discovered PostSecret. It's one of those things I heard about ages and ages ago and thought "oohhh, I must read that", but then never did. Around 6months ago I clicked a link on another mental health blog to the website and since then it's been in my feed reader (RSS is also something I only discovered through blogging!).

I feel a lot of the "secrets" are a bit lame; not really secrets and more musings. A lot are easy to relate to but it's too easy to just say "ohh, that's just like me", but really it's just a general statement or feeling we all feel at some point in our daily lives! And for that reason I've avoided posting any on here and making comments, as it would feel a bit empty. But they make good reading and each week there's always a few good ones (I especially like the follow up comments that Frank posts). This secret from today in particular I liked and felt compelled to discuss:

I don't think "oooh, it's just like me". But I rather like the sentiment and it rung true with me, as it relates to coping mecanisms. This person probably needs a bit of help to work through some issues in "more appropriate" ways, but I like that they've admitted the find ways to cope one way or another.

I could easily get hooked on drugs and/or alcohol or go back to cutting, a full-blown eating disorder or promiscuity in an attempt to cope with how I feel. I'm trying to give up my anti-depressants and all of those things are fears of mine. But I'm trying to get "clean" without and I'm constantly reminding myself that I shouldn't replace them with an alternative "treatment" or coping mechanism. If things start to go wrong, I need to find some therapy to deal with these issues. Recovery, good health, happiness......it should be found in happiness and acceptance, not the bottom of a bottle, the sting of a blade or the comfort of food (or lack thereof!). This secret reminded me of that.

1 comment: