Thursday 10 June 2010

Relationship stuff....

How easy are relationships meant to be? I know that even the best couple has to work hard to keep things ticking over all the time....but during the easy times are things not meant to be just that; easy? And enjoyable?

The past few months have got me questioning more and more if I'm capable of being in a single, monogomous hetrosexual relationship. It seems no matter how hard I try, no matter how happy I know I ought to be and no matter how much I love my partner and want to be with him, I'm never quite happy in the relationship. I constantly feel like there's this big question mark hanging over it, I feel like something is missing or rather, I'm missing something.

I can't quite put my finger on it. But the more I think about it the more I think I'm not able to be in a "normal" relationship. I don't think I can be happy in one.  I love my boyfriend dearly, I truly want to grow old with him in my life. But there is something that is not completing me.  I have a wise friend who is good at seeing through my bull-shit who doesn't believe this and doesn't believe that my other half is right for me. I think he's only half right....I don't think my boyfriend is all that is right for me.

I'm well aware as I write this that it sounds very much like I want to have my cake and eat it; that I want to have the security of a relationship AND play the field. But that's not quite it. I've played the field. I didn't much like it. I genuinely want the settle down. But even with my lovely, amazing, wonderful man, I still find myself falling for other people and wanting to explore those feelings.

I know many would say that that in itself is a sign that perhaps things aren't right in my relationship. Things aren't 100% right, but they're good. Just not enough for me.

I've tried to consider what would be the RIGHT sort of relationship(s) for me; single, married, gay, abstinent or polyamourous. I've thought about what my needs are and how I would like to live my life. And if I'm honest I'm not sure any of those would fit me quite right. I don't know what would make me happy.

All of this is leaving me rather confused at the moment. And feeling like more of an outcast then ever before....I don't "fit" anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment